Add this amazing flavor blend that combines the sweetness of the salmon, richness of black beans, and the zestiness of the topping to your Healthiest Way of Eating and enjoy!
- Season salmon with a little salt and pepper. Set aside while you chop and sauté vegetables.
- Mince onions and press garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes to enhance their hidden health benefits.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a 10-12 inch stainless steel skillet. When broth begins to steam add onion, bell pepper and garlic and Healthy Sauté on medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add 1/2 cup broth, drained beans, and red chili powder. Cook for another 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While beans are cooking, preheat broiler. Place a stainless steel or cast iron skillet large enough for salmon under the heat to get hot. This takes about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl mix together cilantro, mint, basil, lemon juice, olive oil, pumpkin seeds, salt and pepper.
- Place salmon in the hot pan and return to broiler about 13 cm from the heat source for best results. Broil salmon for about 7 minutes for medium doneness. This is my Quick Broil* cooking method. Serve salmon, beans, lettuce and avocado together on a plate. Top salmon and lettuce with cilantro topping.
Quick Broil Method * This method of broiling allows you to broil without oil, and it is very fast and efficient, sealing in the juices of the fish. Preheat broiler on high and place an empty pan under flame to get very hot, about 10 minutes. Use a pan that has a metal handle so it doesn’t burn. A stainless steel pan with a metal handle that works best for this. Prepare fish and when pan is very hot remove from broiler and add fish. Place back under the broiler and cook for just a few minutes depending on the thickness. Keep in mind that it is cooking rapidly on both sides so it is done very fast, usually in 3-5 minutes, depending on thickness.
Serve with 5-Minute Healthy Sauteed Red Cabbage
If you are used to eating green cabbage, I encourage you to try the special flavour and nutrients found in red cabbage as part of your Healthiest Way of Eating. It tastes great and you will also benefit from its rich concentration of health promoting vitamins A, C, and K. Enjoy.
|Prep and Cook Time: 5 minutesIngredients:
- Quarter cabbage, slice into 1 cm strips, and let sit for at least 5 minutes to bring out the hidden health benefits of cabbage.
- Chop or press garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cabbage with 1 TBS lemon juice before cooking to prevent it from turning blue.
- Heat 5 TBS broth over medium heat in a stainless steel skillet. When broth begins to steam, add cabbage and cover. Sauté for no more than 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. For more flavor, toss cabbage with the dressing ingredients and any of the optional ingredients you desire while it is still hot. (Mediterranean Dressing does not need to be made separately.)
Serves 2 (Double for 4)